Tuesday, May 18, 2010

This post is about creepie crawlies. Those with weak constitutions have been forewarned. ;-)

I used to say, "When I get to heaven I'm going to ask God, 'Why mosquitoes?'" Minnesota has an over abundance of the pesky bugs. There are thousands of sloughs for them to breed in in addition to our plethora of lakes. MN natives can all share horror stories from our youths of ruined evenings and camping trips because we were eaten alive the entire time by mosquitoes. I don't think it would be over-exaggerating to state that I loathe them. I once found an EBay seller who must have had a particularly trying day with the horrid pests because their user name was "ihatemosquitoes". I'll give that person the benefit of the doubt that their experience must have been worse than mine to forever immortalize their hatred.

Back to main point. I USED to say, "When I get to heaven I'm going to ask God, 'Why mosquitoes?'" No longer. Now I want to ask Him, "Why silverfish?! Why???" Oh, they are so awful! I have found a purpose for the mosquitoes: other animals do eat them, of course those animals could always find an alternative food source. But I can't think of a single redeeming quality about silverfish except that they somehow bring glory to the Father.

Saturday night I wanted to take a bath. Bath time is a joy of mine. One might say it's even a hobby. I gather all my products and select a book to read. I fill the tub with bubbles and steaming hot water. But before I do all that I give the tub a quick rinse. Now my youngest cat, Ali, likes to sit in the bathtub. And she'll stay in the tub right up until the water is within inches of her body. This doesn't bother me except that I could never figure out why she does it. Is it because the porcelain is cool? Is she drinking any residual water that is in the tub? Saturday night enlightened me: she's looking for a meal.

As I said I was giving the tub a rinse when Ali suddenly spotted a moving object. Her head started bobbing from side to side; she was clearly tracking 'something'. Within a few seconds she had caught her prey. Much to my horror it was silverfish! (Nothing ruins one's bathing experience more than spotting a creepie crawlie in the clean tub.) Ali then proceeded to digest the creature. I was slightly taken aback by her actions, but in the end I figured at least I didn't have to kill it myself. I wish things had ended there, but alas, they didn't. Immediately after the first attack Ali jumped out of the tub. Within seconds of her reposing on the linoleum she had found ANOTHER silverfish, this time by the floorboard next to the tub. EWWWWWW!!! Double, triple, quadruple EWWWWW!!! My night was officially ruined at that point. I didn't even want to bathe I was so traumatized by all the gross bugs. (Oh, and Ali ate that one, too.) =)

If you can think of a good reason for silverfish's existence (other than their sole purpose of giving me the creeps) please leave me a comment. I'd really like to be thankful for their being on earth.☺

3 comments:

Belle Mielke said...

I searched the internet and could find no purpose for silver fish, or carpet sharks, which I think is MUCH more yucky name. Perhaps their God given purpose is simply as a motivation to clean. I know whenever I find them, my house-cleaning intensity (and frequency) really picks up! Want to be further grossed out? Silverfish consume starches and dextrin in adhesives. These include glue, book bindings (BOOK BINDINGS??!?!?!), paper, photos, sugar, coffee, hair, carpet, clothing and dandruff. Silverfish can also cause damage to tapestries. Other substances that may be eaten include cotton, linen, silk and synthetic fibres, and dead insects. During famine, a silverfish may even attack leatherware and synthetic fabrics. Silverfish can live for a year or more without eating. Yikes!

Nikki said...

I had read that information, too. At least now I now "officially" that I don't have to like them. =) Totally gross that they can live for a year w/o eating.
The other day I saw another one while removing the girls' summer clothing from the closet. That brought my week long total up to 5. :-{ Super yucky!!!

Amanda said...

Oh YUCK! :S :S :S My bathing experience would be ruined too!!! :S