Thursday, May 13, 2010

ZZZZ....*snore*....ZZZZ...What? Oh! Sorry. *embarassed look* I dozed off for a second.

Have you ever read a story and come across the following sentence: "...and he/she fell into a dreamless sleep..."? When I see that in a book it always causes me to stop and think to myself That never happens to me!

I know that everyone dreams, and I realize that we don't remember the vast majority of them. I don't know about you though, but me, I always dream in the morning, too, and I always remember those. And they are so vivid that when I wake up in the morning I don't feel like I've slept. Instead it seems as if I've been watching a movie for hours only with my eyes closed. Plus the dreams are so bizarre and random that lately this has started to wear on me. I wake up thinking What was that all about?!

Sometimes I wish I had my own personal Joseph. You know, like Pharaoh had. ☺ Someone who could interpret my dreams. It could go something like this: "Eh, Joe. Can you come here? I gotta question for ya." He walks over. "Yeah, see last night I had this dream that my husband was having a football party at our house only it wasn't 'our' house; it was my old house that I grew up in. And I didn't know what to wear because all of our clothes were dirty. I decided to go look in the basement to see if I could find some clothing. Only, it wasn't our basement; it was someone else's. It didn't matter though as I didn't find anything suitable. Then the dream morphed into me swimming with my family, and I think it was still part of that football party. Then things switched again, and now my husband was filming a LEGO Star Wars video to post onto Youtube. And in one of the scenes he and a friend were smashing some of the pieces to bits instead of using the LEGO minifigs (the LEGO people, you know) to do it. And I was concerned about that and wondering if the video would look good with grown men smashing the pieces...And then I woke up. What do you suppose that dream meant?" ☺

That's the second dream I've had within two weeks that has been about Star Wars. In the other dream I was part of the Rebel Alliance, and I was fighting alongside the central characters. We were blasting away battleships, and then the dream started to morph into me having lunch with an actor, and so I was throwing chicken bites at the ships instead. There were even droids in my dream.

I have reoccurring dreams, too. For years I used to dream that I was at my grandparents' farm, and all of a sudden we spot a tornado. We have to rush to the basement, and I start to get frightened. But for some reason not everyone decides to stay in the basement. Instead they want to watch the tornado or film it. I always end up either outside or in the living room, staring out the picture window watching the tornado pass through the yard instead of safely riding out the storm underground.

The last few years though my reoccurring dream has been this: I am back in high school, and it's either the first day of class, or maybe I have been absent from school for awhile for some unknown reason. I get to my locker, and then I stop and stare at the lock because I have forgotten my combination! I frantically try different patterns of numbers, but none of them work. I get frustrated because I know the bell is going to ring soon, and I need to get to class. I don't want to be late! I can't stand being late!! Oh the horror of walking in AFTER the bell has wrung!!! Or this happens, too: I finally get my locker open, and then...I CAN'T FIND MY SCHEDULE! I don't know which class to go to! I search through my backpack, and it's not there. So now I have to go to the office, much to my chagrin. I have to admit that I need the receptionist to print out my schedule. She gives me a new class list, and when I look at it my mouth hangs open because now I don't know where any of these classes are! Either way I end up walking into the classroom late or maybe even the wrong class. Just recounting that dream fills me with anxiety. I've been graduated for over 10 years now. Why do I still dream about high school?

*sigh* I suppose we aren't meant to know what our dreams mean. Someone has said that "...our dreams are our minds' way of settling problems that we didn't solve during our waking hours." Hmm...I'll buy that I guess. I can see how the locker-combination-dream could be another variation on a problem in someone's life that has been left unresolved. But the Star Wars dreams? I think those are just indicators of how much of a nerd I am. ☺

7 comments:

Stephanie Goblirsch said...

I have the high school dreams ALL the time! Both sets. I also always dream about tornados but i think that is because I am terrified of them. Maybe you gotta stop watching star wars- just sayin.

Nikki said...

One can never watch too much Star Wars. It's not possible. ;-)

My MIL says that she had high school dreams for awhile after graduating, too. Who wants to relive NUHS?! And for some reason my classes are always on the second floor in the rooms by the new wing. Weird. Or I'll dream about you and I walking down the halls or the stairs. Yeah, you're usually in my dreams. =) You're special!

Amanda said...

I've got wacko dreams too! :S Yeah, I don't think I've ever had a dreamless sleep...well, maybe once.

Ana said...

Wow ... I-I-I ... wow. *nods* :) That's funny. My favorite part is where you're having lunch with an actor and throw chicken bites at the ships. That's great! :)
And just so you know, I never, nope never, never have weird, unexplainable dreams ... nope ... never ... *wink*

ExploreColorado said...

First day of classes must be pretty stressful, cause I've had that dream many times with either a college or high school setting, sometimes a mixture of both.

Roz said...

Hey Nikki, this is Roz...i dunno if u'll see this since ur post is from months ago! but i too have had the same reoccuring H. School dreams. not lately but i used to have them a lot.

Nikki said...

:) Isn't that odd? One would think after that many years that you wouldn't dream/think about it anymore. Obviously there is nothing we can do to stop them from happening.