This past year David and I embarked upon an adventure; an adventure in television and film. We vowed to watch every Star Trek movie made and watch them in order. It took about three weeks for us to get through all eleven movies, and afterwards we found ourselves wanting more Star Trek. We decided then and there to watch all the television series as well, and once again we figured we'd best watch them in the order they aired.
After a little searching on Netflix we discovered that The Original Series (the first series) was available on DVD. So for the past few months we've navigated through almost the entire first season. Along the way we've uncovered some universal truths regarding the show:
- Almost every episode includes a trip down to a planet. Why? Because where else can the extras die so conveniently?
- Red shirt = death. Unless your name is Uhura.
- Every planet has a number in it's name. Apparently the future suffers from a lack of originality, and with a great name like "Omicron Ceti" you don't want to waste that on just one planet; you better use that on at least three.
- Spock will pronounce that something is "fascinating". This is so that we, the viewers, know that he has solved the mystery in his mind.
- The female crew's uniforms invite inter-ship romance. The ladies wear dresses, and the dresses are so short that the women are forced to wear bloomers underneath. No female above the age of 2 ought to be wearing a dress with bloomers.
- Despite the immodest attire there is surprisingly little romance amongst the crew. If there is romance between crew members it won't last. In one episode two crew members were going to get married, and 10 minutes into the show the man died!
- That pretty blond wearing the dress that has no sides to it? You can be assured that she's Kirk's love interest for that episode. Most of the female extras are scantily clad. Even if they aren't important characters they'll be wearing 1/2 a dress and full makeup. Did this show cater to men or what? I know I often prepare dinner wearing pin curls and with smoky eyes. ;-)
- If Kirk gets into a scuffle he'll rip his shirt. The Federation probably had to employ an ensign simply to darn Kirk's clothing.
- The stunt doubles don't look like the actors they are replacing. And the director didn't seem to mind if the audience could see the obvious change.
- All the information you need is on a 3x2" cartridge. Want to read the ship's log? Here: take this red rectangle.
- The stardates don't make sense. One episode it's stardate 3025.3, and the next episode is #2124.5. Scotty must have kept the Delorean down in engineering.
- Every episode features a recap/reflection time around Kirk's captain's chair. You can be assured that Bones and Spock will be there, standing around Kirk while he reposes, and their banter will include a reference to Spock's robot-like persona.
7 comments:
Hehe! I've only ever seen one Star Trek episode, but that list was still very amusing to read. :) I will have to share it with some friends of mine who watch Star Trek...
Wow- just wow. I have so many nerd comments, but I will keep them to myself.
That's pretty funny. :)
I welcome any nerd comments! ;-) As a teen I would NEVER has classified myself as a "Trekkie", and I certainly wouldn't have thought I'd like the show. But alas, it has grown on me, and now I thoroughly enjoy it!
:D Old tv show's are great that way. We watched all the Stargates this year. It took a really, really, really long time. Don't you just love netflix? It's even better since they streamed it to the Wii.
I watched Star Trek with my Dad when it was first on TV. They seemed really cool to a grade-school kid (me), but NOW i see how silly they can be! Your list was hysterical, Nikki! So true too...
i still like the shows and movies.
Thanks for the laughs Nikki!
Post a Comment