Let’s talk about books! π
This past year found me working at one of my favorite places: the public library. I had previously volunteered at school libraries and also worked at the public library as a teen, and being back there—on the other side of the desk!—feels wonderful.
Education and literature are my passions, and so many amazing books passed through my hands this year: books on travel, dogs, biographies, and a plethora of cookbooks; romance stories and historical fiction; picture books galore; graphic novels for all ages and genres; and so many mysteries! I added many books to my mental TBR; however, Reader’s Advisory Librarian Becky Stratford wisely states, “You will never read all the books!” (But, don’t we all want to try? ☺️) So, while I found many I would like to read in the future and many that I felt that I ought to be reading—because they are so popular, I had to keep reminding myself that I will never read all the books!
Being at the stage in my life when I am no longer rereading The Biggest Thing in the Ocean by Kevin Sherry to my kiddos every night before bed, I was able to read dozens of books this year. A small few were duds, but many were great. And while it is difficult to choose the best of the year, there are several that I really enjoyed:
Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir is an adventurous spacecapade about an unlikely astronaut on a mission to save humanity. This science fiction novel is thrilling! I began listening to it on audiobook and quickly went to buy the book so that I could read along with the narrator. There’s a lot of science in this novel, but don’t let that deter you. The story is optimistic and heartwarming, thanks to the plucky main character and his ability to solve problems and keep on keeping on. The movie adaptation is coming in March 2026.
- The Revenant by Michael Punke. In the year 1823, a group of fur traders from St. Louis set out on the Missouri River to establish a fur trading post. Along the way, a member of the company, Hugh Glass, is brutally attacked by a grizzly bear. His companions do not expect Hugh to survive, and they rob him and leave Hugh for dead. But Hugh survives and begins crawling upriver to get his revenge against the men. This gripping story was incredibly narrated in the audiobook version by Holter Graham, and he brought all the characters to life. One amazing aspect to this book is that this is a true story! Hugh Glass really did survive a bear attack and crawl his way back to civilization. This book is gritty and raw, but it leaves the reader with a sense of awe at the willpower of the human spirit.
- Have You Eaten Grandma?: Or, the Life-saving Importance of Correct Punctuation, Grammar, and Good English by Gyles Brandreth. Hilarious book! The cover art and title are comical, and the example sentences the author uses to teach the reader grammar are whimsical and humorous. I laughed out loud many times. This book is so witty and clever, and it is a great tool for teaching English rules.
Give them a try!
I also wanted to list a few that I saw so many times at the library. These books are in such heavy circulation and are always being requested; it’s rare to find them back on the shelves: The Wedding People by Alison Espach and The Women by Kristin Hannah. Also, anything by Allen Eskens and Freida McFadden. And children love Creepy Crayon by Aaron Reynolds! There’s also Creepy Underwear and Creepy Carrots to keep your child entertained with creepiness night after night.
Thanks for reading my Reading Rainbow π reviews! To all my reading family and friends, I hope you found a book or two that you loved this year. Remember, “You will never read all the books!” Goodreads wants us to focus on the number of books, but really, it’s about the activity itself and garnering joy and peace with some quiet time with a book. And it’s okay to reread Kevin Sherry every night to your kids. Or Creepy Crayon. π And to my non-reading friends, I hope you were able to engage in a passion or hobby this past year that brought you joy as well. ☺️






No comments:
Post a Comment