Tuesday, January 26, 2010

"What's the greatest nation? DO-nation."

David likes to say that. And since this was his poll I thought it fitting to quote him. ☺ With all the attention lately on giving to Haiti disaster relief David came up with this poll. He noticed that there have been several celebrities in the news lately that have donated large sums of money. So, "Why would you give to a charity?"
  • 4 people would donate because they genuinely care.
  • No one chose to donate because of the tax write-off.
  • 1 person doesn't trust charities.
  • 1 person would donate because they have lots of extra money.

I chose the option "I don't trust charities." I know that sounds bad, but a person hears about the corruption in many charities, and it has to make you hesitant about where your money is going when you DO donate. Is it actually going to help people, or is the money being allocated to bonuses for the people running the charity? It's a tough call to make. That is why I do most of my charitable giving to my local church. But every three months we get a donation card in the mail from the Epilepsy Foundation requesting our used clothing and household goods, and that's when I clean out my closet. ☺

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I don't think I voted on that poll - I couldn't decide. :P