I hope everyone had a great Memorial Day. The cemetery was decorated very nicely. The city always puts up a very large wreath on top of the "Dough boy" (the statute of the WWI soldier), and there were flags everywhere. The girls were asking me why Lukey didn't get a flag. They are very sweet.
We went to my mom's for the afternoon. Before we left I snapped a few pictures of the girls with my phone. Emma was being quite patriotic in the first picture. Her shirt said "U.S.A.", and even her sandals were red, white, and blue.


This is a picture of the yummy snack spread that my mom and brother had prepared for us. I sat around eating for quite awhile. ☺After I snacked too much my brothers, David, and I spent hours playing baseball. We didn't actually have a game; we just took turns batting, pitching, and fielding. It was so much fun! Except I nailed my brother not once but twice in the stomach while I was batting. :-/ Whoops!
After batting practice we enjoyed a delicious supper of steaks on the grill and a fruit bowl. And mom made banana bread for dessert.
*****
In other news we finished school for the year. Yay! Our last day of actual lessons was last Friday. On Thursday Paige's yearly test arrived. I decided we'd do that yesterday. Now, this is the first year that we have had to do annual testing, and I admit I was a little leery. But after I glanced through the test itself I thought to myself This is going to be breeze. It'll only take us, like, 2 hours. Those of you who have done these yearly tests before will think me a real dunce head right about now. ☺ We started that test yesterday at 12:30, and we didn't finish until 7:30. Admittedly we took several breaks, but the test itself took for sure 4 hours. Afterwards I received an email from a friend, and it said, "Did you get all the testing done in one day? I always spread it out over a week." *laughing to myself* Live and learn, right? Next year I will know that we will need to set aside at least 2 days for testing.
*****
I have a big complaint lately, and it's one word, one syllable, and it rhymes with that, fat, mat, cat, bat, sat...you get the picture: GNATS! Oh man, have they been awful this year. I remember last summer that the bugs didn't seem to be too bad. But now this year they have been mauling us whenever we go outside. I am reminded of a scene from Lord of the Rings when the Hobbits are traveling with Stryder, and they have to go through marshland. The bugs are bothering them all so terribly that Merry quips, "What do they eat when they don't get Hobbit?" I feel your pain, Merry. I really do.*****
I have posted a new poll for those who are interested. The results of my last poll were that 4 people put their pants on with their left leg first, and 10 put their right leg first. After I had posted my poll and people had voted a friend pointed out that I didn't leave any room for people who jumped in both feet at the same time. ☺ Funny! No, I had forgotten about that. I didn't even think that someone would do that. So, if you were a two-feet-at-a-time person I apologize for not accommodating you. =)
My next poll is related to my last. I have noticed that when I thread my belt I always thread it through the left. Since my daughter Emma is left-handed I try to remember to thread hers through the right. I assumed that was how things were done -- you thread a belt based upon which hand you use. But in the interest of being sure I am conducting a poll.
*****
That is all from bug-central, I mean my house. Have a great week!
1 comment:
Juniper Breeze (from Bath and Body works) is amazing for keeping away pesky bugs, especially gnats and mosquitos. Nice alternative without always smelling like you've been in the woods camping ;-)
Post a Comment