Monday, December 21, 2009

"Bon Apetit"? No. Umm, "Bone Appetit"? Ugh. No. "Something French". YES!

Last night I watched the movie Julie&Julia. If you haven't seen it or heard of the movie, here is the premise: a stuck-in-a-rut married woman, Julie Powell, decides that every day for an entire year she's going to make at least one recipe from Julia Child's famous book Mastering the Art of French Cooking. 365 days, 524 recipes. It was a decent movie, and while watching it I learned a couple things.
  1. French food looks delicious! Now, maybe it was the fact that the producers obviously knew the food was going to be viewed by others so they made it look extra delish, but seriously, I was salivating through the entire film. I was proud of myself though; I didn't eat anything while watching the movie. I even did some sit-ups.
  2. I've never made or, to my knowledge, eaten a dish that was one of Julia Child's recipes. *Note to my mother and mother-in-law: if you HAVE made a dish using one of her recipes please tell me. ☺
  3. I realized that only once have I used a recipe from one of my many cookbooks and made a 'dish' from it. Only once. (I made French Toast in case you're wondering.) This has lead me to the conclusion that I am a failure as a cook. Admittedly, I hate cooking. But still; I make the same boring dishes week after week, with little variation. And so, I have made my own little vow that I am going to make "something" using my cookbooks before the year ends. At this point I have no idea what it is. But you can be assured that I will make it. And you will all get to hear about it. ☺

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Hehehehe. :) I hate cooking too, and am going to cook all my meals a month in advance once I get married. Unfortunately. I feel bad for my poor husband...Anyway, that movie sounds interesting. :)

ExploreColorado said...

I saw that movie. If I had more energy right now, I might be more inspired to cook something new, but like you, for now, its the same old boring meals. (maybe after the baby's born, I'll try something new).