Remember how I vowed that I would post something every week? You've probably noticed by now that I have not kept my promise. *sigh* Life passes us by so quickly, doesn't it?
I have been reminded often lately of the mortality of man. I've been reading Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell, and even though it's not a sad or depressing book by any means, I can't help but think of the fact that Mrs. Gaskell is no longer alive to know that there are people out there that are still enjoying her writing, 150 years later. In fact most of the authors I read are long gone: Austen, Tolkien, Dickens, Alcott, Wilde. Everyone of them will never know what future generations think of their literature. Were their novels loved or reviled when their authors wrote them? Could they have ever imagined how famous they and their works would be, long after their deaths? I imagine if they had known they would have shrugged and said, "No, no. MY writings could not possibly endure THAT long." And then they would point to William Shakespeare or Homer and say, "Now THOSE were talented writers. Surely their stories will be read for centuries." And yet all of them have left pieces of themselves here on earth after their death. They left their imprint, and even though they aren't here to talk for themselves their writing speaks for them.
It makes me melancholy to think that we really are only here on earth for a short time. How will we spend it? Thirty years after I am dead will anyone come to visit my grave? Why would they? There won't be anyone left who cared about me enough to put flowers on my grave. And not that I want someone to do that; on the contrary. I am just saying that it makes me contemplate my mortality all the more. Since our lives here are very finite how much more should we live them for Christ? The purpose for our lives is to bring glory to the Father. And since we only have roughly 80 years here on earth, we ought to be devoting all those years to Him. Are we longing for Christ's return? When He comes back what will He find us doing? Living in willful sin or walking in obedience?
It is difficult to change our lives; nay, it's impossible. But WITH GOD'S GRACE it can be done. But only through Him and by Him can we live a life that brings honor and glory to His name. Long after I am dead people won't be talking about me. But they WILL be talking about our Father in heaven. And I am so privileged to count myself as one of His children. I may only have 80 years here, but I'll have eternity with Him. : )
1 comment:
Aaaaaaaaaaamen - very good thoughts.
Post a Comment