The majority of what I like to call "recreational" books (aka Fiction) I read are from the SciFi/Fantasy genre. I often read books that are part of a larger series and not just one novel. It seems that many SciFi/Fantasy authors have so much story-line to tell that they can't fit it into one book.
I just finished book #10 in the Harry Dresden series by Jim Butcher. *sigh* Every time I finish a book that is in the middle of a series or the last book in the series I am left feeling dejected. I'm always wanting to know more, but there isn't anymore (at least not yet). And now I have to wait at least another year for the next book to be published. And you have to factor in the time it takes to actually WRITE the book, then edit it, and then have it published. As far as Harry Dresden is concerned the author plans on writing 20 books about my favorite wizard private investigator. That translates into a lot of waiting.
The worst series though for waiting is The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini. I read the first book a few years after it was published and ended up waiting over a year for the second book. Unfortunately the third book wasn't published until 3 years later! How can they do that to us?!? Don't the authors know that we must find out immediately what happens to the characters that we have grown to feel attached to? Mr. Paolini revealed that while writing his third-and-what-was-supposed-to-be-final book of the trilogy that he had too much story left to finish his tale properly. So now he will publish a fourth book. I'm fully expecting another 3 years of agony until I find out the fate of Eragon and his dragon, Saphira.
Thankfully now I am starting another series; one with all the books printed and published and enjoyed by many fans. No waiting to find out what will happen to Frodo and Sam or Aragon, Legalos and Gimli or if Gandalf is indeed dead--smote by the Balroc. And the best part? I already know the ending!! ☺ The Lord of the Rings here I come!
No comments:
Post a Comment