Friday, June 19, 2009

Spiders and slugs and bugs, OH MY!

After reading Katie's blog yesterday, The Rose Garden http://wildprairierose1517.blogspot.com/, I was motivated to weed my flower beds. Let me state for the record that I do NOT have a green thumb. Mine isn't exactly brown though; more like a yellow. Plants will grow for me but only outside. And I seem to do better at growing wood sorrel than flowers. ☺ But I DO have some lovely flowers outside my house, and I decided that I should really give them some more attention.

So I got out all the necessary tools and preceded to attack those weeds with a vengeance! I had been working for about a half an hour when I got to the flowers by the basement windows. This is when I noticed that there were a lot of spider webs in those window wells. It looked like spiders had turned our house into an apartment complex for eight-legged friends and families. Now I know that spiders are generally thought of as "the good guys" in that they eat other creepy crawlies, but I heartily disagree!! Arachnids, worms, insects...all of those fall under the category of "YUCKIES" and thus need to be exterminated.

Now I felt bad for what I was about to do next, and I admit I had some slight hesitation before hand, but I did it anyway: I became a proverbial tornado and swept their homes away!!! Little black spideys, you can feel free to build your home again, but be forewarned that sometime in your future a digging trowel will destroy your home. I hope you are a hearty folk.

--Another item of note from my weeding:

  • I found many maple tree seedlings growing amongst my flowers. How is that even possible?

4 comments:

Ana said...

Go Nikki! :) I kill spiders even if they're outside.

Nikki said...

Whew! Now I feel better about it. ;-)

Amanda said...

Hehe. :) I like leaving spiders to themselves when they're outside; they're so fun to watch!! As long as they steer clear of me.

I found your blog through Ana's, and am planning to follow it. :)

Nikki said...

Rosebud--Thanks so much for visiting my blog! I saw a spidey the other day, and I decided to let him be. I'm very thoughtful that way. ;-)