Friday, August 21, 2009

A Change In Plans

Wednesday night I went to bed with a thought for a post for the next day. I had it all planned out what I wanted to write about: David had prayed at supper about how God is good and He always provides for us. His prayer hit home for me especially because I have been getting anxious regarding our finances lately. Dave sells cars as extra income, and our current car had been for sale for almost 5 months. That's a longer time than we normally have a car. (I am reminded of Philippians 4:6a--"Be anxious for nothing", but I struggle with that command so much.) I wanted to write about how God IS good, and even though we don't always see the goodness from our point of view, He cannot do anything besides be good to us. Jeremiah 29:11 says, "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." I needed that reminder through David's prayer about God's provision for our family. We aren't destitute, by any means. We have a lovely home, we are all clothed, and we have food to eat. And besides that, I know that ultimately our cars always sell; sometimes it just takes what seems like a long time (in my opinion). But it will sell in God's time which is always the correct time. ☺

Thursday morning came, and I woke up feeling ill. I was agonizing about how I was going to take care of my girls yesterday when, providentially, my mother-in-law called me before I had even gotten out of bed. When she found out I was sick she offered to watch the girls for me so I could sleep and try to get better. God provided her assistance in my time of need. ☺ He is good.

Lunch time rolls around and Dave comes home. He graciously attends to me, and as he's walking out of the room he says, "Don't get your hopes up, but someone is coming to look at the car today." How could I get my hopes up? I'm ill! *wink* But I wouldn't have had my hopes up anyways as I had been mulling over that very issue since the previous night. I knew that if God wanted the car to sell, it would. End of subject. So I prayed that whatever happened we would be thankful to God, no matter the outcome.

Mid-afternoon I get a phone call from Dave....THE CAR SOLD! I couldn't believe it. Even looking back on it I am just amazed. "For we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose." [Romans 8:28] So my post about how 'God DOES provide' and 'He is good no matter what' turned into an answer to prayer. God sold the car, and even if He hadn't He still would have been and continues to be a good God. And He is always providing; in the form of supplying our physical needs as well as our spiritual ones. PRAISE HIM!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Praise the Lord! That's awesome!

Ana said...

Wow! How neat! What a wonderful example of God's care and provision!

ExploreColorado said...

Thats great!!! So happy for you.