Sunday, July 19, 2009

Verses regarding our sin

During our Friday night Bible study through the book of James Pastor Phil recalled the following verses:

Who can say, "I have made my heart clean, I am pure from sin?" ~Proverbs 20:9
For there is not a man on earth who does good and does not sin. ~Ecclesiastes 7:20 (emphasis added)

Pastor also read to us 1 John 1:8-2:2. Afterwards Pastor said, "We're not going to be sinless, but we CAN sin less." He has a great way with words, doesn't he? ☺

If you struggle in your Christian walk you are not alone. We ALL struggle, and that was the point. But sometimes I know I get really discouraged and I think, "Why do I keep struggling with this particular sin? Why do I sin over and over again? I feel like such a failure." God's word says that I am not the only sinner; we all fail! And even though that doesn't make it "okay" to sin, we know from 1 John 2:2 that "if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous." We only have to confess our sins to Him, and "He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9). What encouraging news!!

No comments: