Thursday, July 9, 2009

Wait on the Lord

Our beloved Pastor Phil said once that "God answers prayer in three ways: yes, no, and wait." Well as a former popular pop song declared, "The waiting is the hardest part." When I get discouraged in my prayer life the Spirit usually reminds me of a song by Ron Hamilton called "Wait on the Lord". The verse that correlates with the song is very encouraging:

"Wait on the LORD; Be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart; Wait, I say, on the LORD!" ~Psalm 27:14

Our hearts will be strengthened upon our waiting on God's timing and not our timing. I remember when we still lived in our mobile home. We lived there for 5 years, and by the 3rd year I was praying so earnestly that God would give us a house. Several times David and I tried to get a home, but by God's will it never happened. Each time things didn't work out the way I wanted them to, I was upset at first. But then shortly afterward something would happen that would cause me to think, "Wow. It's a good thing we DIDN'T get a house." And I would be faced with the realization that God's sovereign will over my life is a GOOD thing even though it didn't seem like it at first, at least not to me. (God's will is good? Duh! I know, it takes me awhile to learn things.)

Gradually I started to like our mobile home more and more, and I had finally started thinking, "I really like living here. It's perfect for us." Well wouldn't you know it? THAT was when God finally opened the door for us to get a house! ☺

We have lived in our current home now for 2 years, and I am so very thankful for our house. Although I sometimes find myself missing certain aspects of our small, cozy mobile home.

My point is that God DID answer my prayer, but His response was, "Wait". I pray that God would strengthen our hearts through our prayer lives, and if you are growing discouraged I urge you to be of good courage and wait upon our Sovereign LORD. He is Faithful. ☺

4 comments:

carrie s. said...

Waiting IS very hard, but such a blessing. We would miss out on a true lesson of patience if God gave us everything we wanted right away. His plan is so much more lasting than anything we could come up with. THANK YOU for writing about this -- it was a great encouragement!

Nikki said...

You're welcome! ☺

Amanda said...

Thank you so much for the encouragement to wait, even though it's so hard!

Ana said...

What wonderful encouraging words Nikki! Thank you for them.